Thursday, April 30, 2020

Online Presence and the Use of Social Media

I, and probably most people, have always heard to be careful what you put online. I have always been told be be conscientious of what I type, what I post, pictures I upload, my word choices, my personal information, the list goes on. Even though I am careful, I still have quite an online presence. Social Media is where the majority of my presence is online. I have many different social media accounts, including Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, and LinkedIn. Facebook has the most of my personal information, my birthdate, where I am from, where I live, where I went to high school, where I go to school now, not to mention information about my family. And not only that, but there is information and photos of me on family member's accounts as well.
As far as what I post, my content typically consists of things I find appropriately funny, there are no curse words on any of my social media pages, pictures of me with my friends and family, and maybe a few news articles I have shared here and there. I try my best to filter out any content that would shine a bad light on me for professional reasons, an idea that was put in my head as soon as I started in on social media by my parents and teachers, which I am very grateful for. My email address, my home address, phone number, and other personal information is not public on any of my social media, just because I know how easily that information could get into the wrong hands, which I would rather not risk.
As far as the impact social media has on mental health, I completely agree that it could have negative impacts. The anonymity that can be provided by hiding behind a screen under a false name or using false pictures or information can be very harmful. Cyberbullying is a very really problem, one that I have encountered myself, and it being online just makes it that much worse. In my own opinion, social media should be a place to keep up with friends and family, not a place where you have to be worried about slander, blackmail, and all the other issues that have arisen from to use of social media in cyberbullying. We become so involved and dependent on these applications that it consumes everything we do, I am guilty of that. If I leave my house without my phone, I have tp turn around an go get it. I could not go all day without being able to check SnapChat or Instagram, it has become too big of a part of my lifestyle. When we get so lost in social media, depression is definitely a possible outcome. We see pictures of other people, we can become jealous of their looks, their lifestyle, but in reality, everyone paints a much happier picture of their life online. Between this and cyberbullying social media can become a mental health crisis for many people.
It is safe to say that many of us are way too attached to our social media. That being said, I don't think social media is a bad thing, it just depends on the user. By not putting out personal information, being careful of what you post, and not pitying yourself over how other people's lives look on social media, I think it can be used for great things. I see Facebook being used to share campaigns for raising money for medical bills, for fundraisers. In my hometown, due to the pandemic, we had a favorite creamery everyone loves to go to. They were in danger of shutting down due to the lack of business the pandemic closures have caused. With a few shares on social media, they sold out of everything in the creamery. Social media can bring people together, or rip them apart, it is up to how we use it.
https://www.facebook.com/homelandcreamery/photos/a.10151885070833344/10157051184233344/?type=3&theater

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teenage Targets

In the midst of a Pandemic, we run into the issue of false information being spread, especially through social media. Fear sparks this bad i...